It's All Coming Together ...
I know this is my third post in the space of about half an hour, but I just wanted to share how pleased and excited I am about how quickly I'm uncovering all sorts of relevant and useful information about my GranGran's family tree. I was up until 3.30 am last night researching all sorts of bits and pieces online, and although I suffered for it today, it was well worth it.
I'm hopeful that I'm going to be able to get lots of information about the shop that the family owned on the River Lea. Mum has managed to find the address (on the bill of sale from the house that my grandparents bought when they got married) that they lived in, and we are going to try and get down to Hackney Archives at some point to look them up in the Street Directory. As well the bill of sale for the house, a printed advertisement about the development and the details of the construction company, Mum has also found a reference written for GranGran by his employers, Hugh Bros of Old Street - it seems that he had worked for them for ten or eleven years, but was made redundant in July 1932 during the big slump. Grandma had also worked for Hugh Bros too, as a book-keeper - and that, I believe, is how they met.
Now that I have the address of the shop I know exactly where it was. I really hope that Hackney Archives will have some photographs of the shop - I can't explain why and how all this is becoming more and more important to me, but if you're reading this then the chances are that you are a fellow scrapper, and you will probably understand. I just want to get as much information together as I can about the family tree, and as much information about where they lived as possible, and then I think I will make an album of some sort, so that I can at least pass down the information to the kids - so I'm going to arm myself with a little notebook so that I can jot down any and every snippet of information that I find. And the best place to start with that, I feel, is in bed, tucked up warm and cosy and giving my brain a rest until the morning.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home