Scrapbook Mad as you've never seen it before ... unplugged and available for your reading pleasure. You just might pick up some hints about what's in store and what we've got planned. On the other hand, you might just get the inane ramblings of a 30-something scrapbook store owner ...

18 May 2006

But It's Therapy!


So here's tonight's digital effort. I wasn't going to do any scrapping, digital or otherwise, tonight ... but I've had a horrible day today and I needed an hour or so to chill out and restore my tranquility.

Anyway, I've done this page with the Moody Blues kit from Shabby Princess - it's quite groovy, isn't it! And indeed it was therapeutic, because I felt much better about things today once I'd finished it.

So today ... I was very upset to discover that, despite sticking my neck out for some colleagues, who will not speak up for themselves at the moment as they are all worried that if they make any waves they will be at the top of the list for redundancy, they would not stick up for me. Basically, management have made some of the girls move offices, just so that they (management) can have bigger offices (of note, it's interesting that there is all this talk of redundancies HAVING to be made, yet they can afford to have the two new management offices redecorated). The office that some of the girls has been moved into is obviously far too small for them, so after several conversations about this yesterday, I got the information about overcrowding and how much space each person has to have by law, and we started to measure up their office. Someone told the Admin Support Manager (fancy title for an ignorant bitch that seems to spend more time eating than she does actually doing any work) what we were up to and she stormed in to have a go at me.

Get this ... there are 16 of us secretaries in our unit, and she is line manager to all but me and Jenny - because me and Jenny work in a University department she has no jurisdiction over us - Jenny is manager of our department and is my line manager. According to Ms ASM, myself and all the other secretaries are NOT colleagues, and we have nothing to do with them and vice versa. Funny that, cos I thought we were supposed to be a team. Anyway, she's shown her true colours now and made it obvious that she has no time for Jenny and myself (it's not like we didn't know that anyway). She then put the girls on the spot and asked them if they had a problem with the size of the room. I was totally gobsmacked that they all sat there and said they had no problem at all - this is obviously what happens when you stick your neck out for other people, and to be honest I'm just not going to bother again - I wouldn't mind, but quite often they come to me ASKING for my advice or help.

Ultimately, I'm not taking that sort of crap from anyone, let alone from a jumped-up would-be manager who, if she was any sort of manager, would have known the legislation re overcrowding and would not have allowed the girls to be pushed into that office. Health and safety is the responsibility of everyone, and if the girls just let themselves be walked all over then they are just as culpable as management in this case. My calculations, by the way, showed that that office gives 10.68 cubic metres of space per person, with the law stating an absolute minimum of 11 cubic metres per person.

This isn't the first time that I've had a run in with Ms ASM ... I frequently challenge the crap she comes out with in the secretarial meetings, and she's tried to shout me down and talk over the top of me before now. I AM going to take this further, believe me.

Anyway, this altercation left me very upset today ... not because of having a run in with her, but because my colleagues didn't 'have my back' as it were. I'll definitely be remembering that in the future when they want/need my help ...

The day wasn't all bad though ... still I'm having people comment on my hair and tell me that I've lost weight, and I also realised that someone at work knows me better than I thought and was concerned about me today. That really means a lot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Sorry you had a bad day - but that digital layout ROCKS! I love it! I am a paper scrapper, but I've downloaded tons of kits and know that someday I will... I just know i'll be addicted since I'm already a computer geek! LOL
GREAT Layout girl!
Keep Scrappin
~LouAnn

12:09 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home